From: "Tim Shearon" <tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:04:29 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: RE: [tips] response to Ed Callen

All

I agree primarily with the idea of elimination of behavior through extinction.
However, as the person-of-interest already pointed out, it doesn’t work if a
behavior is self-reinforcing. It clearly is- and for what appear to me to be
mean-spirited reasons. The comment came from this individual recently was
something to the effect that “good luck finding people who agree with you”. Add
my name. A list is a community- participation in which requires a certain
degree of self-control and empathy. Self-proclaimed superiority hardly matches
the claims of community and egalitarian principles necessary in an open forum.
Bill, I appreciate your patience and I respect your efforts running the list-
it is, almost without exception, my favorite list * because of * the lack of
rules and structure- but I do think it is possible to go too far.

Tim