The following have all expressed similar sentiments about the
posts of M. Sylvester.

Annette Taylor wrote:

I believe Michael's later post about animal culture, with
the statement about eventually finding what one is looking for was a
side-ways allusion (did I just make a noun for the verb alluding to?)
to finding racism where there is none, but if you look hard enough
you can find it.

QuantyM wrote:

Sometimes he is off the wall but his attempts to draw
connections among seemingly disparate concepts are usually
refreshing.

Sue Frantz wrote:

Which brings me to how I view Michael (and Louis, for that
matter)...

Both are trying to teach us lessons.

Stephen Black wrote:

I think Michael knows this, and has cleverly worded his posts to
stay close to the boundary. He's doing this not because he's anti-
Semitic but because he wants to be provocative.

Now I write:

I now propose a new explanation for why, in some cases, Michael's
posts may seem to have some positive effect.  I refer to this
explanation as the "Being There" assumption.  I will leave it to you
(in Milleresque fashion) to determine why I have called it this but I
think any positive benefit that comes out of many of these threads
exists more in the mind of subsequent contributors than in the
cleverness of the original post.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman
Associate Professor of Psychology