OK Rick, I am putting on my parent hat now--mind you, a parent you
knows a little something about research, and even the potential for
problems.

As a parent I would refuse to sign it! How's that for a _practical_
problem--I would most definitely want to know the nature of each
study. Although, you as a research may be ethical there is just too
much going on that I might not want my child to participate in, and
each should be an independent decision--same applies for college
students who might be asked to participate in more than just survey
research.

ESPECIALLY I would not give blanket permission in case there were
any non-survey studies, I would want full details on those.

I also think that some parents might have concerns about the topics
of some of these surveys--might feel uncomfortable with certain
topics such as sex, drugs, RELIGION is a very touchy subject I have
found, etc.

No, I think as troublesome as it is, it needs to be one by one.
annette

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Rick Adams wrote:

>       Why would this necessarily be an ethical problem?
>
>       If a parent receives a form stating, for example:
>
>       "We will be conducting a limited number of research studies among
> students this year. These studies will consist of asking the children to
> fill out questionaires or surveys about themselves, their interests, or
> other subjects important to our understanding of children in our society.
> None of these studies will ask your child to invade the privacy of your
> family, and all will be treated with the strictest respect and all
> information provided will be kept strictly confidential and used for
> research purposes only. Participation in these studies is strictly
> voluntary; no child will be required to participate in any survey unless
> he or she wishes to do so. While we feel this research is important, at
> the same time we recognize that not all parents are comfortable with their
> children being asked to participate in surveys or studies and we respect
> that decision. As the parent or legal guardian of your child, you have the
> right to determine whether or not you wish your child to be invited to
> participate in these studies. If you wish to grant the school permission
> to invite your child's voluntary participation during this school year,
> please sign and date this form in the space provided. If you would prefer
> not to grant that permission you need do nothing; only children whose
> parents or legal guardians have signed and returned copies of this form
> will be invited to participate."
>
>       Is there any ethical reason whatever that such a blanket authorization
> (worded better, of course, that was off the top of my pre-coffee head :),
> would not be perfectly acceptable (assuming all research fell into the
> areas cited in the specific form, of course)? It provides parents the
> absolute right to make the primary decision, yet still allows the child
> the right to decide for him/her-self whether or not to participate in any
> individual study, thus preserving his or her right to self-determinism.
>
>       Comments?
>
>       Rick
> --
>
> Rick Adams
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Department of Social Sciences
> Jackson Community College, Jackson, MI
>
> "... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds
> will be the love you leave behind when you're gone."
>
> Fred Small, J.D., "Everything Possible"

Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology                E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of San Diego                 Voice:   (619) 260-4006
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA  92110

                "Education is one of the few things a person
                 is willing to pay for and not get."
                                                -- W. L. Bryan