Hi

Personally I do not think that apologies like Claudia's should be necessary
when talking about group differences on a list like this (i.e., teachers of
psychology), whether those differences concern religion, ethnicity, or
whatever.  Surely we appreciate when saying, for example, that men tend to be
more aggressive than women (sometimes stated in short hand that men are more
aggressive than women), that we do not mean that ALL men are more aggressive
than ALL women.  Similarly to say that a religious group has certain tendencies
less present in other groups does not mean that we attribute those tendencies
to all members of the group.  Psychologists above all others are probably more
sensitive to individual and group differences, and the complexities of both.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Claudia Stanny <csta...@uwf.edu> 14-Sep-10 10:16 PM >>>
On reflection, I believe I ought to post an apology for my recent post,
which can reasonably be regarded as a rant.

I in no way intended to imply that Christians in general (Fundamentalist or
otherwise) were terrorists or collectively approved of the dreadful
behaviors I described.  I apologize to any readers who detected that message
in my post.  I admit I was hasty and wrote something that could lead a
reasonable person to reach that interpretation.  I regret any hurt feelings
my words caused.

By the same token, I hope that posters who wrote similarly hasty things
about other religious groups would consider how their words might be
interpreted or misinterpreted by others.

It is always a mistake to vilify an entire group based on the actions of a
few extreme members.  I am concerned about the polarized and irrational
discourse that surrounds much political discussion these days.  I apologize
for my contribution to the deterioration of civility.

Claudia Stanny

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca.
To unsubscribe click here: