Very interesting.  If nothing else we have a good example of psychoanalysis vs.
behaviorism: Bettleheim vs. Skinner.  Complexity vs. Parsimony.  Fodder for a
good class discussion and light-banter for a Sunday evening.

 (Alejandro - thanks for the reminder of Bettleheim's "Enchantment" book - read
that in undergrad)

Michael

Michael Britt
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
Twitter: mbritt

On Oct 24, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Shearon, Tim wrote:

> Michael:
> For the sake of parsimony *and* the aforementioned likelihood of harming
> someone's enjoyment  needlessly, I would stick with a behavioristic
> explanation. Mildly ironic? :) I might add that it is one of the few sports
> where those who are less strong and more empathic can equal or exceed the
> accomplishments of those who are stronger and less "sensitive" - thus may be
> more rewarding or reinforcing for some than for others (Not even getting to
> the complexities of male and female developmental differences,
> anthropological and cultural issues, etc.). I think it is more likely that
> one can find a parsimonious explanation by looking to the effects
> environmental variables (e.g., parents and their expectations) rather than
> attempting to explain it based on far more complex phenomena. (Also, is this
> backed up by data that females are more involved with horses or are we
> speaking purely from anecdote? I honestly do not have a clue on that.
> Apologies if this is more terse than I intended- I recognize that most of
> what's been said is light-banter - this was constructed rather quickly and I
> hope does not reflect a dismissive tone). :)
> Tim
>
> _______________________________
> Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
> Professor, Department of Psychology
> The College of Idaho
> Caldwell, ID 83605
> email: tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu
>
> teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history and
> systems
>
> "You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." Dorothy Parker

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=5942
or send a blank email to
leave-5942-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu