Hi

Billions it is ... Chris undoubtedly made a typo.  Here are Canadian university
endowments (see Table 4.3)

http://www.caut.ca/uploads/2010_4_UniversitiesAndColleges.pdf

Only U of Toronto breaks the $1B mark at $1.3B, although several others are
around the $1B level.  So Harvard has something like 20-30 times the top
endowment of a Canadian university.  I know a few years ago there was
legislation being considered to force American universities to spend their
excessive (to some) endowments, but I don't know if anything came of it (or if
the recession "cured" much of the problem ... Harvard lost about $10B in one
year ... they use to be at about $36B).

USA appears to have about 50-60 universities with endowments of $1B or more.
See

http://www.nacubo.org/Documents/research/2009_NCSE_Public_Tables_Endowment_Market_Values.pdf

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Rick Froman <rfro...@jbu.edu> 06-Nov-10 5:29:51 PM >>>
I know there is a discrepancy between American and British accounting for
billions but, in the system native to Harvard U. (and as announced on the
linked page below), Harvard has a $27.6B endowment. I would be surprised if a
number of colleges (including mine) didn't have at least a @27.6M endowment.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor of Psychology
Box 3055
John Brown University
2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu
(479)524-7295
http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman

"The LORD detests both Type I and Type II errors." Proverbs 17:15