On Nov 6, 2010, at 6:26 PM, "Christopher D. Green" <chri...@yorku.ca> wrote:
> No Canadian (or British or Australian or...) university is the equivalent of
> Harvard.
> No Canadian (or British or Australian or...) university has a $27.6M
> endowment. (http://www.hmc.harvard.edu/)
> Chris (went to McGill and U. Toronto) Green

Excuse me for being exceedingly dense but I am having a hard time
making the connection between the size of the Harvard's endowment,
Larry Summers as Harvard's president, and Harvard's "exceptionalism"
(in the sense of U.S. "exceptionalism").  As far a I know, Summers has
no direct role in financial decisions regarding the endowment.  It is
managed by professional fund managers, one of whom was Mohamed
El-Erian, currently co-inverstment chief of PIMCO; for more on
the Harvard endowment, Mr. El-Erian, PIMCO, and the woes of managing
an endowment, see:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=at0iuIc8_ga0

Quoting from the article which was published in May 2009:

|Harvard, projecting an endowment loss of as much as 30 percent
|this fiscal year, has frozen hiring and salaries and fired staff. Harvard
|raised cash by issuing $2.5 billion in bonds in December after failing
|to sell $1.5 billion in private- equity stakes.

As the old saying goes, people are never quite as smart as they appear.

That being said, Summers can kiss butt with the best of them as might
be evident from the following story about Indian's Tata Group (no, not
those "tatas") $50 million contribution to the Harvard business school.
See:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Ahead-of-Obama-visit-Tatas-make-a-point-with-50-million-gift-to-Harvard/articleshow/6756752.cms

Now, if one wants to argue that Harvard is exceptional because of its
educational quality, it's intellectual capital, it's contributions to all
manner of intellectual activities, well, I think one might have a better
argument but one that is harder to qunatify.  It is tempting to use a simple
metric like size of endowment (which is like guys in the lockerroom
comparing their you-know-what) but, I think, that is a questionable
metric.  Hell, even PIMCO is looking less spectacular after one realizes
that it's success had less to do with its management (El-Erian and
Gross notwithstanding) that larger market forces -- see the following
for one view:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/232465-the-new-normal-will-hit-pimco-the-hardest-of-all

-Mike Palij
New York University (#24 on the list provide by Jim Clark and only lost 15%
of its endowment while Harvard lost 29.8%)

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6282
or send a blank email to
leave-6282-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu