From: Michael Palij [mailto:m...@nyu.edu]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 7:24 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Cc: Michael Palij
Subject: Re: [tips] Is p < .05 ?

Do they have the same problem if you restate it in terms of percentages?

So, if p= 5%, circle which of the following is smaller:

a) 1%
b) 10%
c) 3%
d) 6%

If they can't do this, then your students in are in real trouble.
Then again, if you re-frame it into:

If cost = $5, circle which of the following is smaller:

a) $1
b) $10
c) $3
d) $6

If they can't do this, then I have some investments I'd like to talk to them
about.

----------------- Original Message ---------------- On Fri, 28 Sep 2012