Hi

Sorry to hear about Phil Rushton having died.  Despite his more notorious ideas
and his appearing on Geraldo, he probably deserves to be remembered for more.
Here's one summary of his research on Altruism, for example.

https://lesacreduprintemps19.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/j-p-rushtons-contributions-to-the-study-of-altruism.pdf

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor & Chair of Psychology
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca
Room 4L41A
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
Dept of Psychology, U of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB
R3B 0R4  CANADA

>>> "Lilienfeld, Scott O" <slil...@emory.edu> 19-Dec-12 3:40 PM >>>
Actually, Rushton passed away fairly recently..Scott

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 19, 2012, at 4:20 PM, "Jim Clark" <j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I know the following will be viewed dubiously (by Mike P at least), coming
> from a Canadian and one with University of Western Ontario (aka Western
> University Canada, another story) connections, but here goes anyway.
>
> The short summary states: "No one component, or IQ, explained everything.
> Furthermore, the scientists used a brain scanning technique known as
> functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), to show that these differences
> in cognitive ability map onto distinct circuits in the brain."
>
> But of course no respectable g person says that g is everything.  Rather, the
> standard model today (I thought) was a hierarchical one with general and
> specific abilities.  Did the researchers (not IQ researchers) indeed find
> rs=0 among their three components?  That would, I think, be surprising given
> the extensive literature on IQ tests.
>
> Perhaps we will hear from Phil Rushton and Tony Vernon, also at Western, and
> (I believe in both cases) advocates for some contribution from general
> intelligence.
>
> Take care
> Jim
>

> James M. Clark
> Professor & Chair of Psychology
> j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca
> Room 4L41A
> 204-786-9757
> 204-774-4134 Fax
> Dept of Psychology, U of Winnipeg
> 515 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB
> R3B 0R4  CANADA

> A research article in the journal "Neuron" argues that it is incorrect to
> think of intelligence as being a represented by a single underlying factor,
> usually referred to as "g".  Instead, it is asserted that "g" is an artifact
> of
> interacting distinct brain areas engaged in different types of processing.
> A press release describing the article is accessible here:
> http://www.uwo.ca/its/brain/iqmyth/
> A version of the published article is available on this webpage (lower
> right side; look for "Fractionating human intelligence (.pdf)" or click
> here:
> http://www.uwo.ca/its/brain/iqmyth/Hampshire%20Owen%20IQ%20Neuron.pdf
>
> Though I admit to being partial to this kind of thinking I'd like to point
> out two caveats:
>
> (1)  Looking at the neuroimaging component and relating it psychometric
> performance worries me because such analysis is quite complex and
> really requires replication,
>
> and
>
> (2) the researchers are Canadians, eh, which should worry everyone. ;-)

> [...]

prohibited.

You are currently subscribed to tips as: j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a891720c9&n=T&l=tips&o=22447