From: "Jim Clark" <j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)"
<tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 10:31:36 AM
Subject: Re: [tips] Goodbye "g" -- We Hardly Knew Ya

Hi

My last brief comment:

1. No matter how odd an area of research might sound, one must be cautious in
drawing simplistic conclusions about its theoretical or empirical utility.
Otherwise, we are likely to hear more politicians making fun of science grants.
Penis size, for example, is of importance to researchers and practitioners
concerned with sexual health, one recent article by Grov et al (2010) being
titled: "The association between penis size and sexual health among men who
have sex with men." And why wouldn't an association between sexual orientation
and penis size, if validated, contribute to our understanding of sexual
orientation (e.g., role of androgens)?

2. Drawing an analogy between espousing ideas distasteful to many and the
actions of mass murderers, no matter how loosely intended, is again a risky
activity given the marked differences in how the two should be treated by
society and by academics. Irrespective of whether you think of it in terms of
free speech or academic freedom, the success of academia does hinge on an
openness to ideas as long as they are supported by some rational and scientific
process (note that does not mean the ideas are correct ... if it did, then
science would be all too easy). In the case of Rushton, for example, the
Premier of the Province of Ontario called for his firing, a committee of his
peers at Western gave him an unsatisfactory evaluation (later over-turned on
appeal), and there were other negative consequences, one important one perhaps
being a stifling of the actual research that could resolve issues, whatever the
outcome. Although the Premier is fully legitimate in espousing his views
(which, it should be noted, are only neutered by protective mechanisms built
into academia and society), I find the potential or actual negative
consequences unwarranted and unpalatable in the treatment of Rushton, just as I
do in other cases (e.g., Elizabeth Loftus) where people disagreed with the
ideas being espoused. And there are sufficient examples in the history of
science of ideas that were ridiculed turning out to be correct (Wegener and
continental drift, anyone?) for us to be cautious, again keeping in mind that
being ridiculed does not make an idea correct or incorrect and there certainly
are cases where ideas can be discredited giving the overwhelming evidence
against them (e.g., young-earth creationism).

On that happy note, all the best for the holidays and the new year!

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor & Chair of Psychology
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca
Room 4L41A
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
Dept of Psychology, U of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB
R3B 0R4 CANADA

>>> "Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu> 20-Dec-12 7:53 AM >>>
Now that's odd. In the early 2000s I received unsolicited in the mail
a copy of Rushton's paperback "Race, Evolution, and Behavior: A
Life History Perspective" (2nd Special Abridged Edition). I just checked
the index and there is no mention of altruism. In contrast, there are 14
entries for "Sexuality". I quote from one of these entries:

|...Condom size can affect whether one is used, so agencies take note
|of penis size when they give out condoms. The World Health
|Organization Guidelines specify a 49-mm-width condom for Asia,
|a 52-mm-width for North America and Europe, and a 53-mm-width
|for Africa. China is now making its own condoms -- 49 mm.
|
| Race differences in testicle size have also been measures (Asians=9
|grams, Europeans=21 g). This is not just because Europeans have a
|slightly larger body size. The difference is too large. A 1989 article
|in Nature, the leading British science magazine, said that the difference
|in testicle size could mean that Whites makes two times as many sperm
|per day as do Orientals. So far, we have no information on the relative
|size of Blacks. (p42).

One gets the impression that, on the basis of Rushton's remarks, someone
got busy measuring African-American and African male ball sacks.
The prediction, I imagine, is that they would have the biggest ones of all,
given Rushton's claim that there is a negative correlation between penis
size and sexuality with intelligence.

Which area of study by Rushton, his study of altruism or the relationship
of the size of peoples' genitalia to intelligence will have the longest
influence?
Hard to say but one recent article might provide a clue:

Richard Lynn, (2012) Rushton's r-K life history theory of race
differences in penis length and circumference examined
in 113 populations, Personality and Individual Differences,
Available online 12 March 2012, ISSN 0191-8869, 10.1016/j.paid.2012.02.016.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886912000852)

Abstract: Rushton's (1985, 2000) r-K life history theory
that Mongoloids are the most K evolved, Caucasoids somewhat
less K evolved, and Negroids the least K evolved is examined
and extended in an analysis of data for erect penis length
and circumference in two new data sets. These new data extend
Rushton's theory by presenting disaggregated data for penis
size for European and North African/South Asian Caucasoids;
for East Asian and Southeast Asian Mongoloids; for Inuit and
Amerindians and Mestizos, and for thirteen mixed race samples.
The results generally confirm and extend Rushton's r-K life
history theory.

Yes, Rushton should probably be remembered for than his interest
in altruism, just like <insert name of your favorite dictator/mass
murderer/etc>
should be remembered for more than just their "indiscretions".

P.S. Anthony Bogart, another Canadian researcher and colleague
of Rushton, has discovered that homosexual men have longer
you-know-whats than straight men but don't take my word for it,
see this popular media account:
http://www.salon.com/1999/11/04/size/
and the original research report here:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1018780108597?LI=true

What possible conclusions might one reach on the basis of such research?
(1) This is consistent with the notion that gays are hypersexual, since
having
a longer thingamajig inevitably leads to being more sexually active
or
(2) Don't believe a guy when you ask him how long his Johnson is. Use
reliable and valid measurement techniques even if you have to give some
participants Viagara first.