That happened to me recently. It is spooky. The ads on Facebook reflect a
search on google in less than 24 hours.

Now if we could only get that kind of responsiveness from a company on
matters that we really care about!   :-)

Claudia

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director
Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Associate Professor
NSF UWF Faculty ADVANCE Scholar
School of Psychological and Behavioral Sciences
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514

Phone:   (850) 857-6355 (direct) or  473-7435 (CUTLA)

csta...@uwf.edu

CUTLA Web Site: http://uwf.edu/cutla/
Personal Web Pages: http://uwf.edu/cstanny/website/index.htm

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Carol DeVolder <devoldercar...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Something I find most disconcerting is how products I've looked at online
> (e.g., using a company's website) end up showing up on Facebook as specific
> suggestions. I understand how gmail puts ads across the top and sides of
> the page, but the connection between looking at a product without the
> "help" of Facebook (I may not even have it open at the time) and how the
> product ends up on the side of my page is beyond me. Kind of scary. This
> article (which I may have gotten from an old TIPS post) is a fascinating
> read.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?_r=0
> Carol
>

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Tim Shearon
> <tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu>wrote:
>
>> Ken, and others
>> The algorithms Google uses are proprietary and secret but it's pretty
>> clear they are snooping our searches (among other things).  Clearly it's
>> not just search history on the computer but also between the different
>> search engines as the answers I get, Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. are quite
>> qualitatively different. I don't know if that results in some sort of
>> digital psychodynamics. :) (Sorry if I've repeated something already said.
>> I'm reviewing files today and distracted)
>> Tim
>> _______________________________
>> Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
>> Professor and Chairperson, Department of Psychology
>> The College of Idaho
>> Caldwell, ID 83605
>> email: tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu
>>
>> teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history
>> and systems
>>
>> "You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." Dorothy Parker
>>

>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to tips as: devoldercar...@gmail.com.
>> To unsubscribe click here:
>> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=177920.a45340211ac7929163a0216244443341&n=T&l=tips&o=29811
>> or send a blank email to
>> leave-29811-177920.a45340211ac7929163a0216244443...@fsulist.frostburg.edu
>>

> --
> Carol DeVolder, Ph.D.
> Professor of Psychology
> St. Ambrose University
> 518 West Locust Street
> Davenport, Iowa  52803
> 563-333-6482
>

>  ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: csta...@uwf.edu.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13144.1572ed60024e708cf21c4c6f19e7d550&n=T&l=tips&o=29813
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-29813-13144.1572ed60024e708cf21c4c6f19e7d...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=29814
or send a blank email to