Kevin,
  The hand pain has nothing to do with the arthritis in your neck.  The reason
is...Arthritis is in your BONES.  However if you're like me, and you have
herniated discs in your neck as well, then the bones can be pushing on the
spinal cord causing UNBEARABLE pain in your neck, shoulder and arm and fingers.

  That is my experience with herniated discs with arthritis in them.  I had  2
epidural shots back in December for it and that seemed to make it much much
better for now.
  Hope that helps.
  Jill

Kevin Wolfthal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Regina,
I had a neck MRI and a thoracic spine MRI last year.  The neck MRI showed
a lot of arthritis in the neck.  The neurologist at that time said the
asrthritia has
nothing to do with my hands.  Why couldn't it?  My doctor yesterday is my PCP,
and he has been treating me for high BP.  He did not have an opinion yet about
my hands.  He took blood to test for anything systemic that might be going on,
such as thyroid.  Won't have results until next week.  I'm seeing a new
neurologist
in a few weeks who comes highly recommended.

I do believe my hand numbness might be coming from my neck.  I also have
neck and shoulder pain.

Have a good holiday,

Kevin

Regina Rummel wrote:     Kevin,
  When I told my doctor that I was starting to get numbness in my hands, he
prescribed a neck MRI.  What did the doctor suggest about your hand numbness?

Kevin Wolfthal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Naomi,

Over the first 4-5 years of onset (1988), I improved very slowly.  I went from
crutches
to cane, to walking without aid, except ankle braces..  However, there was
always pain, always balance
problems, gait difficulty, numbness.  I was doing fairly well until 1997, when
my car
was rear-ended.  It wasn't a major collision, but as my neurologist said at the
time,
it "shook things up".  Sure did, things went steadily downhill after the
accident,
until I was using a cane again and had to stop working in 1999.

I never had steroid therapy because it took me years to get a dx.  Now I am
using a rollator,
actually used it to get to the doctor today, with the assistance of a nurse's
aid.  It wore
me out, but I did it.  Now I'm trying to find out why my hands are going numb.

I don't think anything is set in stone with TM.  We are all affected
differently.  I still
try to stay hopeful, I hope you can too.

Best wishes,
Kevin

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:       Quadius,

  Today marks my two year anniversary for my Transverse Myelitis.  It's really
depressing because I thought, by the two-year period, I would have gained more
movement and made more progress.  To be perfectly honest, I'm worse off than I
am when I left the hospital.  I am still struggling with my insurance company
to provide more therapy.  I know it is stated that you're pretty much where
you're going to be at the two-year mark.  I certainly hope this isn't true.
That would remove all hope.  I've read of people progressing beyond this point.
 I pray for more recovery.

  Naomi
C-4 quad, incomplete since July 2, 2005
Transverse Myelitis