Do they have Shriner's or have they called them because they will always
help when it comes to a child.  Also, St. Judes.  Gosh, it would be
wonderful if one of them would come thru for her!!  Jeanne in Dayton, WA

-------Original Message-------

From: j ra
Date: 3/12/2010 3:45:15 PM
To: jan...@centurytel.net;  j.d...@shaw.ca;  Transverse Myelytis
Subject: RE: [TMIC] Re: Hope

Hi everyone,
I have to ask a favour. This is a case that I'm personally getting involved
with and I need some help. It's a pediatric case and I need some advice as
to the best place for the child to receive care. Please read the article.

 FULL STORY

Paralysed girl needs $1.9m for surgery
Julien Neaves jnea...@trinidadexpress.com
Monday, March 8th 2010

SERIOUS CONDITION: Christa Brumant at her home in Tunapuna last week.
-Photo: ANISTO ALVES

ON SEPTEMBER 19 last year then nine-year-old Christa Brumant awoke at about
6 a.m. with terrible abdominal pains and was taken to hospital. Five hours
later Christa was paralysed from the waist down.
’She said ’mummy I can’t walk’,’ her mother, Ramona Eligon, recalled.
Christa spent 47 days at Mt Hope Paediatric Hospital where doctors diagnosed
her with a condition called transverse myelitis, a rare neurological
disorder caused by inflammation of a segment of the spinal cord.
Her family is attempting to raise $1.9 million for medical treatment and
rehabilitative therapy at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Kennedy Krieger
Institute in Maryland, USA for May 4.
When the Express visited their Tunapuna home last week, Christa, now 10, was
sitting in the wheelchair that she has been confined to since September.

She was checking out a Barbie Girls website and later raised her hands in
triumph that she was a ’VIP’ on the site. She was not in any visible pain
during the interview.
Eligon said her daughter has no feeling from the waist down but suffers from
painful muscle spasms daily, at times so severe that she would stiffen and
fall off the chair.
Her other symptoms include daily headaches, back pain so severe that it
keeps her awake for hours, nausea and acute bladder and bowel dysfunction.
Eligon is extremely worried that her daughter is unable to defecate for days
sometimes, which could lead to a build-up of toxins and further complicate
her medical problems.
She said if her daughter’s condition remains untreated paralysis could
become permanent and in a few cases transverse myelitis has been fatal,
travelling to the upper body and paralysing the heart, lungs and other vital
organs.
The family has been able to raise $35,000 so far and has applied for the
Health Ministry medical grant of US$10,000 for children requiring medical
treatment abroad. The Education Ministry has provided a personal aide to
assist Christa as she attends classes at Tunapuna Girls’ RC, and her mother
noted she is an ’A’ pupil.
Eligon has had to take leave from her job as an administrative assistant to
help care for her daughter and was thankful for the support of her husband,
Evris. To help raise funds the family is hosting a cruise on March 26 aboard
the Treasure Queen and ’An Evening of Elegance’ on May 1. For more
information call 777-5080 or 395-5727.
’I really convinced that if everyone in the country opens their hearts and
makes a small contribution not only my daughter can be helped but others
needing assistance can be helped.’
As the Express left the home, Christa wheeled herself outside, smiled and
queenly waved good-bye.