From: Deb Monteleone <aiki...@optonline.net>
To: "Towery, Ruben Dale" <rdtow...@southernco.com>
Cc: TMIC <tmic-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sat, June 5, 2010 10:50:09 AM
Subject: RE: [TMIC] How to deal with isolation

Hi Ruben,

Not sure how your upper body is, but I installed hand controls in my car.  It
was a wonderful feeling to know I can get up and go.  Although the go part is
still not so great, not too many places to go.  I still work so it gets me
there and I got a scooter to put in it.  Compared to staying home all the time,
it is great.  Still miss all I used to do, but trying to go forward and find
ways to at least feel I have some freedom back.

I woke up two years ago today (just realized today is my two year anniversary)
with numb feet, 5 days later up to waist, 5th day Primary care Doctor sent me
to neurologist that day.
My neurologist is a wonderful man (knowledgeable, friendly, returns calls and
emails, sympathetic, funny).  He diagnosed TM right there, sent me that day for
3 days of outpatient steroid infusions, then oral for a week, then after
another week went into hospital for 5 days of steroids 4 times a day (at this
point I could not stand or take a step, bladder and bowels weren't working
either).  Then rehab for almost 3 weeks.  Just kept pushing after that.  Now I
walk with a cane (not in house) for short distance or scooter for longer.

I still grieve for all that I lost, sports, kayaking, woodworking, gardening.
Slowly I am working myself back to some of it.  I pick a weed now and then, who
knew weeding would be so enjoyable.  Just purchased a stool with wheels and a
footrest so I can try my lathe and some small wood projects (hope it works
out).  I am a black belt in Aikido, had been practicing for 18 years before
TM.  Every now and then I go to class and do the movements (not gracefully) and
throw people around with a big smile on my face (one of the few moments that I
am happy and feel like my old self).  I tire quickly, rest, throw etc...  For
bike riding I got a three wheel bike, don't go very long but I am out there
riding a bike which I so enjoyed.

Going to a MS support group helped, oh yea, it was finally diagnosed that I had
MS which caused the TM.  As is this support group, it is nice to speak with
people who really know how you feel, the MS support group is in person.  My
husband reads all these emails so he has a good understanding of what I feel
and he knows it's for real since so many others have the same pains.  He is a
wonderful man on top of that, don't know where I would be without him!  He even
accepts and deals with the fact that I don't laugh or smile like I used to, I
have gone within to try and deal with this pain and loss.  I think I am slowly
getting back to my smiling face.

Keep moving forward, reach out to people, think out of the box as to how to
enjoy some of the things you did, look for new things to do.  Keep conversation
with your doctor to try different concoctions of medicines.  Cry when you need
to, it is a great reliever.

Sorry this is so long.  I guess I needed to relieve some of my pent up
thoughts.  You are all wonderful, brave, kind and sharing people on this site,
even though I don't write much, what I read re-enforces my sanity.

Stay strong, feel better.

Deb
Long Island, New York