My husband was originally diagnosed with TM on September 4th of this year.
He was put on steroids and was weaned off of them orally.   At that point he
was able to walk about 50 feet with a walker but was pretty much wheelchair
bound.  The lesion was between T7-11 with enhancement at T9.   Within a few
days after the steroids stopped, he would get a relapse.  This happened a
couple of times...and then the docs scratched their heads and said TM
doesn't do this so they began looking at other possibilities.  On November
20th they discovered that he had non-Hodgkin's LYMPHOMA..and the lesion they
saw was caused from Lymphoma.  He is the only known case in the USA at this
time and is currently being written up in the Medical Journal because
lymphoma is NEVER found in the spinal cord.  It is so rare that they didn't
know what the correct course of treatment and the head of oncology at
Pennsylvania Hospital had to contact colleagues in various states to see if
they had any experience with this.  The good news is that the lymphoma is
curable...the bad news they don't have any history as to what the prognosis
could be regarding the damage done in the spine.  At this point he is much
worst mobility wise..he can only sit in the wheelchair for the max of 3
hours.  He is extremely weak but that could be the chemo.  We are going
tomorrow for his 3rd chemo treatment and we are going to ask lots of
questions because he is currently in a rehab and is not making any progress.
He has only been in our home for a total of 26 days since the end of August.
He has used up all of his Medicare hospital days and has dipped into his
live-time reserve hospital days.  It has been a long and grueling 5 months
and it doesn't look like it is getting any better.  Along the way he has had
pulmonary embolism, insertion of vena cava filter, pneumonia, a testicle
removed due to urinary tract infection, Atrial Defib due to the chemo
messing up his electrolytes.  He is totally incontinent with catheter and
diaper.  He use to be able to transfer using a walker now he has to use
transfer board because of the weakness.  Don't know what is going on and
hope to find out something tomorrow when he goes for treatment.

Although he doesn't have TM,  I continue to read these emails because when
push comes to shove..it is a spinal cord injury regardless of what caused
it.  My heart aches for all of you as I read about pain, sensations, spasms,
seizures, medications, etc.  He too has some of this going on.  I pray for
his recovery but I also pray for each and every one of you!!!  It just isn't
fair that there isn't some cure that is available at a reasonable price to
each and every one of you.  I hope medical research quickly finds a way that
all of you affected by a spinal cord injury finds relief from the horror of
all of it and your lives can be restored to what you once had.  In the
meantime, stay positive, take one day at a time, pray, and keep a good
mental attitude.  Don't let this pull you down because if you do it will
only make your life and the people around you more miserable.  Find things
to do that will keep your mind off of what is going on in your body.  Dump
all of your problems on this fantastic resource when you are having a bad
day.  We are here for each other.

Love and virtual hugs to each and every one of you!!!

Emily Meyers

New Jersey

  _____