Interesting so many of you have sleep problems. I have had almost no trouble
falling asleep or staying asleep since coming home from the hospital and one
month in a rehab facility six years ago. Two months before I was stricken
with TM, my husband and I purchased a Sleep Number bed and I found I was
able to set it so soft it enveloped and supported my hyper-sensitive body
perfectly.

The only problem I encountered in the beginning was only taking three doses
(at eight-hour intervals) of pain and nerve medication a day. My last dose
for the day was typically after dinner, so by the time I woke up in the
morning (nearly 8-10 hours later), I was so crippled with pain I could
barely get out of bed, walk to the bathroom and get downstairs to eat and
take my first dose for the day. After discussing it with my doctor, she
agreed I could instead take four doses at six-hour intervals, which kept a
steadier amount of medication in my system. Unless I over-exert myself on
any given day, for which I am more than ready for my med dose when the time
comes, I now otherwise function pretty well at the six-hour intervals.

It seems many of you try to go as long as possible before taking any kind of
pain medication, whether out of fear of addiction or whatever, but I feel
this is an incurable situation involving chronic, severe pain and I, for
one, cannot see myself going through the rest of my life in severe pain.

Pain can age a body way beyond its years in no time. TM has already robbed
me of many things - I can no longer run or skip, let alone wear cute fancy
shoes or sandals; my hands have been crippled to the point of making it not
a pretty sight to watch me try to cut my food and feed myself; I now must
"hunt-and peck" two-fingered on the keyboard, when my fingers used to fly
upon the keys; my artistic passion has been taken away as I can't hold a
decorating bag and squeeze to create the beautiful cakes I used to decorate
for family, friends and co-workers; and because of all this, some degree of
happiness has been stolen by TM. I see no reason to compound this situation
by trying to function through severe pain. There is always now some level of
pain there - I am always conscious of it. But with the help of the medicines
I take, I can sometimes be distracted enough in what I'm doing - such as
answering my emails, playing games on the computer, or researching my
genealogy - that I "forget" about the pain for a bit.

Sleep helps to restore the body - I hope all of you find whatever works for
you that eases your pain and allows you to attain that sleep.

Betty

(in Northern California)

  _____