It's vim, not less, and yes, it appears to be overwriting.

The issue is that I don't have this problem in screen.

OK, screenshots of screen and tmux (in alternate-screen off mode).
Process is:

[new window]
# seq 1 100
# vim
[type some crap]
:q!
[backscroll mode, up 10 lines, screenshot]

http://teddyb.org/~rlpowell/media/public/tmp/screen-backscroll.PNG

http://teddyb.org/~rlpowell/media/public/tmp/tmux-backscroll.PNG

As you can see, the results are rather different.  I can get this to
happen on the same machine with the same terminal (PuTTY) config, as
well, alhough on that machine the tmux version is 1.3

-Robin