Ok, so OpenBSD should have a way to do this soon, either a new
second-level sysctl KERN_PROC_CWD or a new third-level under
KERN_PROC_ARGS. Don't worry about that though, let's move forward with
your diff and I'll add OpenBSD when my code goes in. It's clear it can
be made to work on most platforms anyway.

So I think it should be on by default (no option), default-path should
change to be "" by default, and this option should take effect unless
default-path is set to something else. So basically the hierarchy for
cwd for a new window goes:

1) default-path if not "";

2) from cmdclient if any (that is, the place where "tmux neww" was run
   if from shell);

3) from your osdep getcwd code;

4) from the session cwd.

Does this make sense? Can you update your diff?

Cheers