From: Remy Maucherat [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 2:24 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: [5.0] [VOTE] Removal of the LE distribution

Hi all,

Before starting to release 5.0.x milestones, I would like to propose
having only one distribution for Tomcat 5.0.x, and standardize on what
the LE distribution contains (so well, it's more the other distribution
which gets removed).

It has some advantages:
- it is slightly smaller (less these days now that the XML parser has to

be shipped again with Tomcat)
- runs as-is on JDK 1.3 (because of the Xerces inclusion)
- 99% Apache or Apache-style licence (the JDBC 2 standard extension is
needed for JDK 1.3 DataSource support :-()
- less user confusion

The main "problem" is that the user will need additional downloads for
some of the more advanced features, and the package will also not run on

JDK 1.2 as is (but from what I've seen, JDK 1.2 compatibility may not be

a priority for developers).

<ballot>
+1 [ ] Yes, remove the LE distribution
-1 [ ] No, keep both distributions