From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Costin Manolache
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 3:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [5.0] [VOTE] Removal of the LE distribution

iasandcb wrote:

> First all, I vote
> <ballot>
> +1 [ ] Yes, remove the LE distribution
> -1 [ ] No, keep both distributions
> </ballot>
>
> Next, I'd like to make this clear: Tomcat 5 is based on JSP 2.0 spec,
> which requires J2SE 1.4. Therefore Tomcat 5 also can't run without
> J2SE 1.4 ideally. However, I found that the new catalina engine and
> jasper 2 compiler for Tomcat 5 don't mandate so. Is J2SE 1.4(or later)

> necessary for Tomcat 5? Or does Tomcat 5 support J2SE 1.3(or earlier)
> for backward compatibitity with disabled JSP 2 feature?
> My opinion on this issue is that Tomcat 5 should have J2SE 1.4 in
> compliance with JSP 2.0 spec basically.

What ???

Where did you find this info ? I read the JSP2.0 draft and didn't find
such thing. It would be just stupid - I don't know any
other spec to require more than Java2 (i.e. JDK1.2+).

If the final spec is aproved and includes JDK1.4 requirements - then
there's nothing we can do, we'll have to stop supporting 1.3 in the
official tomcat distibution. But given that now the 2 specs are distinct
- and
some people use only the servlet spec, I think the servlet engine and
connectors should remain JDK1.2+.

Costin