From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Costin Manolache
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 3:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [5.0] [VOTE] Removal of the LE distribution

To clarify - my main concern is the second part of
'write once, run everywhere'. Right now JDK1.4 is just not 'everywhere',
and I don't think any cool feature would
justify sacrificing this.

At this moment the 'everywhere' is defined ( at least IMO ) by the free
VMs ( kaffe, GCJ, etc ) - just look at the list of supported platforms
and OSes.

So I'll be -1 on requiring JDK1.4 for container and connector - if
JSP2.0 requires 1.4, then we'll have to require it too for the
distribution, but it should still be possible to remove jsp and run java
web applications based on less requiring technologies.

I'm all for using JDK1.4 features like NIO or prefs - but that should be
done in a modular way that allows the system to work for most users and
platforms.

I periodically test the compilation using GCJ - and so far we are ok (
except jasper, which can't be compiled - at least last time I tried -
due to inner classes and bugs in gcj ).

For example - is JDK1.4 available for BSD or Sparc/Linux or Arm/Linux ?
I think BSD and linux are fine operating systems and Tomcat should run
on them.

Costin