From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 4:34 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [5.0] [VOTE] Removal of the LE distribution

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Costin Manolache wrote:

> Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 11:30:47 -0700
> From: Costin Manolache <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: [5.0] [VOTE] Removal of the LE distribution
>
> iasandcb wrote:
>
> > First all, I vote
> > <ballot>
> > +1 [ ] Yes, remove the LE distribution
> > -1 [ ] No, keep both distributions
> > </ballot>
> >
> > Next, I'd like to make this clear: Tomcat 5 is based on JSP 2.0
> > spec, which requires J2SE 1.4. Therefore Tomcat 5 also can't run
> > without J2SE 1.4 ideally. However, I found that the new catalina
> > engine and jasper 2 compiler for Tomcat 5 don't mandate so. Is J2SE
> > 1.4(or later) necessary for Tomcat 5? Or does Tomcat 5 support J2SE
> > 1.3(or earlier) for backward compatibitity with disabled JSP 2
> > feature? My opinion on this issue is that Tomcat 5 should have J2SE
> > 1.4 in compliance with JSP 2.0 spec basically.
>
> What ???
>
> Where did you find this info ? I read the JSP2.0 draft and didn't find

> such thing. It would be just stupid - I don't know any other spec to
> require more than Java2 (i.e. JDK1.2+).
>
> If the final spec is aproved and includes JDK1.4 requirements - then
> there's nothing we can do, we'll have to stop supporting 1.3 in the
> official tomcat distibution. But given that now the 2 specs are
> distinct - and some people use only the servlet spec, I think the
> servlet engine and connectors should remain JDK1.2+.

The J2EE 1.4 (PFD) Platform Spec requires JDK 1.4.  That is not directly
relevant for Tomcat standalone releases.

The Servlet 2.4 (PFD) Spec still says JDK 1.2 is the minimum (Section
1.2, last paragraph).  This affects Catalina and Coyote code for Tomcat
5.

The JSP 2.0 (PFD) Spec has implied dependencies on JDK 1.4, but I could
not find any specific assertion to that effect -- cc'ing the JSP Spec
feedback address above to suggest that this be clarified.  This affects
Jasper code in Tomcat 5.

Personally, I think it would make Catalina/Coyote development, and
Tomcat 5 packaging, a lot easier if we adopted JDK 1.4 as the minimum
platform for Tomcat 5, but that is a separate decision from what the
spec requirements are.

> Costin

Craig