Remy Maucherat wrote:

>> If the EG prefers features over portability - then we need to find a
>> way to create a distribution without JSP ( is this possible ?) and maybe
>> compensate by including cocoon or velocity.
>
> Personally, I would support 1.3 (and 1.2 assuming you are willing to
> download missing libraries). 1.4 brings I/O improvements so it's a nice
> JDK choice, even if the nio API itself seems useless for Tomcat.

I'm fine with using any API in JDK1.4 that we need - but not with
_requiring_ JDK1.4. We can easily detect JDK1.4 and enable NIO for that
case, or anything else that would help up.

I'm obviously -1 on using jdk1.4 regexp or logging API or any 'boundled'
feature that can't be used in plain Java2 ( especially when we have
better alternatives that work with any java).

> I have no problem with including Velocity if people want it. As for
> Cocoon, it is huge, so this looks like a bad idea.

If we can't include JSP2.0 for JDK1.2 and JDK1.3  ( and more important for
me - for GCJ and Kaffe and open source VMs ) - then we should include
some alternative. We could include JSP1.2, but I doubt we're allowed to
do so by licence.

The 'default' tomcat release ( in case JSP2 remains with JDK1.4 requirement)
will obviously continue to be the same. What I'm interested is what we'll
do for the 'tomcat for java2' release.

> If you're interested in the issue, you should make a proper call for vote.

I'm interested in having tomcat and java-based webapps on most platforms. I
would prefer to have JSP - and I'm more interested in having this
requirement fixed. But if it stops beeing an option, then we need
alternatives.

If I would care more about features and less about portability, then I could
write C# and use windows.