Tim Funk wrote:

> Do you mean take the XML doc and perform an xslt transformation on the
> server before it gets sent to the client? (I thought original patch did
> that.)

No, just return HTML in the first place.

I just don't understand - when you can just display HTML, why do you
want to go through XML and then XSLT ???

> The dtd was really just an easy explanation of what the fields meant.
> The only reason I suggested this was if an xml doc is published (which
> it seems your leaning against), then a user will ask what the fields mean.

> My reason for leaning towards an xml doc is so I can push fields to MRTG
> (or similar) in the future. Or so I can easily integrate this into my
> helpdesk. I submit some changes and get rejected, I won't take it
> personally. I'll just keep trying.

XHTML is also XML. Do the XSLT transformation to whatever XML format you
want - instead of forcing the vast majority of people who'll just use the
browser to go through a XSLT transformation.

I'm ok with a separate servlet that generates an XML. But if we do that - we
should use a format that is extensible or check what other people are doing
instead of just inventing one. Apache doesn't seem to generate an XML or
other complexities - and there are apps that can parse it and do whatever
they need to do.

Costin