Michael Coughlan wrote:

I agree. Sorry to be so thick, everyone. I hope I am not too far off topic

with this conversation thread, but I simply don't understand how JBoss
differs from the J2EE SDK.

There is a specification for J2EE, and then Sun makes an implementation of that specification, just as many other companies implement the spec.

There are differences among the implementations, depending on what your needs are. JBoss for example also supports aspect oriented programming, if that will help your application out.

 Perhaps this will help you decide which application server to use.
http://www.theserverside.com/reviews/matrix.jsp