JBoss and J2EE SDK rely on the same tools for some
technologies. Others technologies are implemented
from scratch. From the J2EE perspective JBoss and
J2EE SDK are competitors that have different scopes.

(J2EE SDK the is not intended as a tool for production)

The heavy part (like EJB) is implemented by JBoss
as an alternate implematation of the same technology.
Tomcat is just a very small part of the game.

JBoss is an appserver that uses tomcat as a plugin
to implement servlets and jsp's. (It could and can
use other tools like jetty to achieve the same goal)