luckily I have a license of Borland OptimizeIt.

What I do is I start tomcat using OptimizeIt. Then I create a test plan in JMeter.
Once tomcat is running, I warm it up by sending it a couple hundred requests to make
sure all the pages are compiled.

before the test starts, use OptimizeIt to garbage collect. Once that is done, I start
the test and look at the number of threads and size of the heap. If there's a memory
leak, either the thread count will increase, or the heap will grow rapidly. Once I see
either one, I then switch to the call graph to get a better picture of which methods
are getting called. Usually, that is enough to point towards a culprit.

repeat, and rinse as many times as needed until you've squashed all bugs and leaks.

peter lin

Matt Woodings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I just read your post this morning (I am lurking today as I have a few
issues of my own to clear up :-) ) and I think that is some really good
advice you gave. I do have a question though.

Once you have noticed you have a memory leak, how do you go about locating
it?

Matt