Hi,

I'm not looking at highly specific tomcat code, that's way more
complicated than I'm thinking about.

I also don't see the need to faff about with shutdown - wait - startup.

I was thinking (at a rather simplistic level) of having a restart script
which can be called from a JSP / Java class. I'm sure a Java program
could be written to call the shell script.

Alternatively you could try and exploit the kill -HUP command.
Probably the best way of doing this would be to setup tomcat to create a
pid file on startup a la Apache.

I will apologise now for not just going ahead and attempting to set this
up of my own accord on my system. I have no Internet access at home (in
fact I only just have a PC!) and work is far to hectic at this time for
non-essential messing about (a great shame!) :-(

Adam.