1. The original question was if there is some highly tomcat-specific code that enables
a reboot at runtime. Spending very little time going through the source code of
catalina, it seems to me that even highly tomcat-specific code does not support a
reboot a runtime.
2. One solution could be to call a shell script from within the webapplication running
on Tomcat, reboot Tomcat, accepting in this way that the application and tomcat will
be unavailable during some reboot time. On the other hand, this could not be regarded
as a good coding practice, in my opinion.
3. Another solution could be to have the application create a new process in the JVM
responsible for stopping and starting the tomcat service. But then again this process
could only do so by calling a script as in the solution proposed in 2, with it same
consequences (seems to me I might as well be wrong).

I would be very pleased with any comments on the above

Rudolf Feyerkleist

NB As a relative novice to Tomcat it astonishs me that the Tomcat Manager does not
provide the functionnality to reboot the server at runtime (taking in account that it
services become unavailable during reboot time).

"Shapira, Yoav" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,
What's running your program (in order to wait and issue a startup
command) after you've done a shutdown? ;)

(Unless you're talking about highly tomcat-specific code that shuts down
tomcat and leaves the JVM itself running)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics