Interesting.  It's actually what I meant earlier, although I expressed it
badly.

So, I am currently including my webapp's <Context> in
conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp.xml, which is sub-optimal for 2 reasons:
1. it's outside the webapp directory
2. the path depends on the server configuration - not predictable

It seems that it would be neater if the context xml file were within the
webapp directory.  Is there a reason why it is in fact read from
conf/Catalina/localhost at atartup?  Why not from within a defined location
in each webapp?

PS the reason I don't use wars is that while developing, I can't see the
point in packaging a war up after every change, only then to unpack it when
I restart TC.  Might as well change the files directly.

PS what does TC do with the context.xml file when it reads it from a war,
does it copy it somewhere?