Hi,

>So, I am currently including my webapp's <Context> in
>conf/Catalina/localhost/mywebapp.xml, which is sub-optimal for 2
reasons:
>1. it's outside the webapp directory
>2. the path depends on the server configuration - not predictable

These server-specific configuration files, unlike web.xml, are not yours
to control from the J2EE/Servlet Spec point of view.  They belong to the
server admin.  So their location, contents, and handling need not be
predictable for the application developer.  They're server-specific,
implementation-dependent, not portable.

>It seems that it would be neater if the context xml file were within
the
>webapp directory.  Is there a reason why it is in fact read from
>conf/Catalina/localhost at atartup?  Why not from within a defined
location
>in each webapp?

We like to keep Tomcat's configuration info inside the conf directory.
The reason it's nested in conf/[engine]/[host] is to allow webapps with
the same names within different engines or hosts on the same server.

>PS the reason I don't use wars is that while developing, I can't see
the
>point in packaging a war up after every change, only then to unpack it
when
>I restart TC.  Might as well change the files directly.

Whether you can see the point or not is irrelevant, as Tomcat offers you
the choice of deploying and developing in both packed and unpacked WAR
formats.  The Servlet Spec only requires us to support deploying and
running packed WAR archives, so again this is an example of something
we've provided by request of the user community to ease *some* people's
lives.

The point in always deploying and running from a packed WAR is to ensure
portability.  If you don't see that point, disagree with it, or find it
inefficient, that's fine, you're obviously free to do as you want.  But
the point is there and it's important to those of us who have to deal
with heterogeneous server environments all the time.

>PS what does TC do with the context.xml file when it reads it from a
war,
>does it copy it somewhere?

Yes, into the conf/[engine]/[host]/appname.xml file.

Yoav

and notify the sender.  Thank you.