Yoav - interesting points again. thanks :)

> It says it implicitly by only discussing packed WAR files as the only
> deployment method.

Sorry if I'm being slow here, but which sections of the servlet spec talk
about these deployment methods?  I can't find anything on that in the spec -
have browsed contents and searched the doc.  The relevant sections I've
found in the spec so far are the ones I mentioned in my last post (RV.9.6
"Web Application Archive File" and the "web application" glossary entry),
which both seem to say that unpacked deployments are supported.  Maybe we're
talking at crossed purposes here (terminology maybe?)