I hope this message makes it to the list (my Welcome email didn't include
the examples of the proper email command syntax, only the headings...?)

The Tomcat 5.x binary installer for Windows hangs at the point where it
says it's using the dvm.dll. This is true under all the following
circumstances:
-Windows XP Pro, SP2
-JRE 1.4.2_06 (picks client/dvm.dll)
-JDK 1.4.2_07 (picks client/dvm.dll or server/dvm.dll, seemingly at random)
-JRE 1.4.2_07 (picks client/dvm.dll)
-fresh install (with reboot) of each of the JDKs/JREs above
-Tomcat 5.0.28 (should be okay with 1.4.x, right?)
-Tomcat 5.5.4
-Tomcat 5.5.7
-leave the partially installed Tomcat directories and registry entries
intact on subsequent attempts
-remove the Tomcat directories and registry entries prior to subsequent
attempts
-allow Tomcat to use default installation directory (C:\Program
Files\Apache Software Foundation\...)
-TinyFirewall enabled, and disabled

I found a couple other notes in the list archive from people with the same
problem but didn't see the resolution.

Other Java-related or OpenSource software installed at the time of the
Tomcat install attempt:
-SunOne (J2EE 1.4 SDK, not running)
-WSAD 5.1.2 (not running)
-Apache 2.x (service not running)