Sorry, I'm pretty confused right now.  I thought you said the tomcat
examples were working, but the other applications that you added weren't.

What is the exact error message that you get when you try to access
http://your.domain.name/examples using your existing configuration?  I
realize the examples are not your application, but if you can get the
examples to work, that proves that the configuration is ready for
customization.

I don't know what error message you mean.  Do you mean the one about the SSL
message?  Are you using SSL?  It doesn't look like it to me, but maybe I am
wrong.

Typically, for every "/someApp" in http://some.server.com/someApp, you have
a Context.  In a default installation, there is a Context for /examples,
/admin, and /manager.  If all 3 of those work, you have a solid foundation
for customization and tweaking.  If those three do not work, then making
custom changes will just make things worse.  Even the ROOT is a Context.
Tomcat has to have an entry point in order to find everything else it needs
to do its job.

John