Well, that was part of my question.... if I
cannot/don't implement daemon threads to do e.g.
automatic daily tasks, what else? E.g, at the end of
the day send an e-mail to a (real life) manager with a
summary of the day's transactions.... something like
that.

Does Tomcat provide some sort of ActionEvent which you
can configure to be fired every x milliseconds?