cron = scheduler

wget = command line HTTP/HTTPS client

The requirement for delivering everything in a WAR file is all nice and dandy, but if you think about it, the requirement automatically breaks the other requirement: scheduling.

If you cannot have a log file, and you cannot access a database, how will you ever be able to determine elapsed time, which is the primary requirement for a scheduler? How can you determine status like when was the last time it was run, etc? How can you reset your clock if the app is shutdown? How do you know the app has been shutdown due to an external event?

John

Riaan Oberholzer wrote:

... nice suggestion, but I am delivering an
application as a .war file to a 3rd party and they
just want the .war (+ context.xml) with everything in
it.... hence, no other applications checking the logs
or database. All functionality must come from the .war
running in Tomcat. It is very important: all
functionality must be encapsulated in the .war file.
(I have no idea what cron +wegt is???)

I guess a daemon thread will be my choice solution for
now... what the thread does, is check a database daily
for a certain false condition and send an e-mail to
all users in question warning them about the current
status. E.g. if you have to submit your timesheet by
Friday 17:00, then you'll get a warning on Friday at
12:00 if it is not done yet.... something like that.

--- Tim Funk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Tomcat doesn't provide this but other simple
solutions exist such as exposing a URL and using cron + wget. (Some may also say
kludge too)

As for aggregating statistics - I would recommend
using a log file to record the essential measurements then running your stats
program on the logs. This way - tomcat can crash (or other strange occurences
may occur) and you lose no data. If the data is already logged, then the
first solution (cron + wget) will work well too.

-Tim

Riaan Oberholzer wrote:

Well, that was part of my question.... if I
cannot/don't implement daemon threads to do e.g.
automatic daily tasks, what else? E.g, at the end

of

the day send an e-mail to a (real life) manager

with a

summary of the day's transactions.... something

like

that.

Does Tomcat provide some sort of ActionEvent which

you

can configure to be fired every x milliseconds?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]