Perhaps I should give a better explanation of how the
application works:

I deliver a .war file. I do have access to an
underlying database. The scheduled tasks perform more
on a "is time reached" than "has time elapsed"
principle... eg, it triggers when "is it past
midnight?" instead of "has 24 hours elapsed?".

I cannot see why creating a daemon thread cannot cater
for this. You just start the thread in the init method
of the InitServlet (or any servlet you create with
start-when-app-starts).

What am I missing here? Why can't I use this method?
If Tomcat crashes and the app gets restarted, my
thread will be restarted as well, so no problem there.
The thread should also only be running while the
web-app is (LONG story why that is so, so I won't give
details... in short, if the web-app is down, it is
seen as critical and all else must be halted).