... nice suggestion, but I am delivering an
application as a .war file to a 3rd party and they
just want the .war (+ context.xml) with everything in
it.... hence, no other applications checking the logs
or database. All functionality must come from the .war
running in Tomcat. It is very important: all
functionality must be encapsulated in the .war file.
(I have no idea what cron +wegt is???)

I guess a daemon thread will be my choice solution for
now... what the thread does, is check a database daily
for a certain false condition and send an e-mail to
all users in question warning them about the current
status. E.g. if you have to submit your timesheet by
Friday 17:00, then you'll get a warning on Friday at
12:00 if it is not done yet.... something like that.