On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Andrei Cipu <w...@strainu.ro> wrote:

> >On Tue, Sep 25, 2012, Delphine Ménard <notafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >we can't at this stage enter in expensive improvements, because Labs is,
> >in the short to mid-run, destined to replace the "toolserver as you know
> it"
> >>completely. It falls under the attributions of the Foundation,
> as hosting provider
> >of the Wikimedia Projects, to provide authors, developers and
> contributors with the technical tools they need to make their work easier.
> >
> >Why is this?  The Foundation has always tried to provide some technical
> tools, but not all; it is not an exclusive job of the Foundation, and the
> toolserver in particular has often (quite often!) provided support that was
> not available anywhere else.   It's good that more tools are being
> developed and maintained.  But in my opinion we need more entities, not
> fewer, providing this sort of support.
> >

> >And Ryan has said elsewhere that Wikimedia Labs is not intended to
> replace the toolserver.   So why is WM-DE considering dropping the
> toolserver?   And why is the WMF considering not providing db replication
> for it?  I thought the goal was to make that easier, not harder.
>
> Samuel, you're obviously not on the same page as the executive staff at
> WMF (see Erik's email).

That's possible, and as Krinkle says it may well be my misunderstanding.
 That's why I asked.  Erik's email was thorough and detailed, I'm just not
clear about those few points.

I am not writing as a WMF trustee, but in my personal capacity as a
community member interested in the toolserver. This is a fairly operational
discussion, and not something discussed by the board; I only know about it
because I read this list.

Regards,
SJ

Following this thread, it's becoming more and more clear that before any