iPhone;532478 Wrote:
> Just exactly why is it Logitech's issue and why should they have thought
> or cared about it?!

Because the Use Case for the the device is to leverage a UDB drive or a
card. If the intent was to support USB drives and its possible and
common to have drives that require a little more juice then you make a
product that supports that.

I appreciate your desire to support logitech and be a good forum member
and jump in to defend. I'm sympathetic to your cause. Honest. At the
same time very very few people have powered USB hubs.

Device testing is hard work and takes time. I know because I do work at
a company that makes A LOT of devices. Some you probably own or
statistically at least one of your family member owns. It's sometimes
not possible to test everything out there to be sure it works so I
understand the easy stance of just supporting to spec and adding a
disclaimer indicating the use of a powered hub. Still, I know logically
that the hardware design could have helped solve the potential issue of
a power hungry USB drive.

Drives are getting better these days and even a 1TB usb drive can
perform in spec. I have to believe though that in a lot of cases the
new Touch owner is going to want to take their spare or older smaller
usb drive that they upgraded from to attach permanently to the Touch.
In this logical guess at how things might shake out in the field its a
fair guess that the Touch will be trying to use some older hardware
that might need some extra juice.

I'm not beating anyone up here. It's very possible there was a meeting
and it was decided that they would accept the Risk to goodwill and some
returns of the product due to customer satisfaction over this issue.
I've been there. Still the choice of the company... then onto the next
product :)

--
pounce