I let the USB drive run overnight and I don't think it ever did complete
a scan. However, it did play any music that I selected through the
folder directory (other than the iTunes material.)

I umounted the drive from the Touch and checked it on my linux PC and
it seems to be OK. I'm not sure what the story is about this. (A 2 GB
flash drive with a selection of music on it mounted in a couple of
minutes and seemed to behave as others indicated it should.)

I don't think I'm going to spend anymore time on this issue right now.
I'll just hang back and see what others experience over the next week
or two.

--
mlsstl