kidstypike;536497 Wrote:
> I bought the Touch with a view to this being the basis of my audio
> set-up, however, using the inbuilt server has completely ruined the
> Touch user experience for me. As it stands at the moment, I would not
> recommend the Touch as a stand alone player/server.

I only bought the Touch to use as a player with my existing server. I
was looking for an upgrade in sound quality over my SB3/Classic with an
eye toward eliminating the external DAC. The Touch accomplished that
goal for me so I'm happy with its performance in my system.

However, I have to say it is disappointing to read that, after a four
month release delay to get the built-in server working right, so many
people seem to be having problems with this feature. My external drive
never did finish a scan, even after 15 or 16 hours. It's a duplicate of
the server drive's  internal music directory where all 48,000 songs do a
complete clear/recan in about 50 minutes.

It sounds like the odds of success improve if one gives the built-in
server 2 or 3 shots at the process. That doesn't strike me as very user
friendly or within any any reasonable expectations of a non-geek user.
It seems the built-in server becomes a real hit-or-miss as the size of
the external drive increases.

I hope that improves or I think a lot of people will be disappointed
with the product.

--
mlsstl