Triode;535667 Wrote:
> Actually I dropped the web interface when the event loop was rewritten
> and it would have needed a major upgrade.  There were also lots of
> comments about users not understanding it!  Instrumentation of how long
> the server takes to perform events is still available if you start the
> server from the command line, however the only output is to the log
> file/command line rather than a web page.  I guess I felts the majority
> of the benefit was achieved by this without the questions about how to
> use it from less technical people...
>
> Anyway re network test, there have also been questions about how to
> dump down the interface on this to make it less geeky.  If it didn't
> have any options but just showed a single display of how fast it could
> go - similar to a broadband speed checker, would this be useful?   Is
> the history graph currently shown also useful?

The history graph is usefull you want to try over a 5 minute period or
so, actually i think it's kind of stuck in Touch it only progress 0.5
centimeter :-/

A single display ? you have to avarage over time and set a goal in how
many % is acceptable over X minutes at Y speed and then present that ?
do I get it like 2 minutes at 4800k 98% or similar.
Or do you intent to do sequence where you try to slowly raise the speed
until it drops under 100% ? and present that speed as the test result.

The problem is that you have to maintain steady streaming over time to
do a test that emulates the reality the player faces, so a good test is
as long as a normal tune or even like 30 minutes or so, most non geeky
people are bored to tears by then.

Or maybe a message "the performance test will take 10 minutes..." the
user could do something else for that period come back and be presented
with 1 number that indicates network performance is that a plan ?

Maybe a clock like display like the speedometer in your car would look
more interesting and the 100% clock display besides it the
"speedometer" could have a scale 0-5000kps that would indicate that
there is more than one speed to do the test at. I think many user fails
to recognize, that you can try different speeds. when your finished and
x/y graph could pop up presenting speed over time and % over time

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J and assorted amps SiriuS,
Classe'Primare and Dynadio speakers (including a pair of Contour 4 )
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this