I'm confused by the comment on "network test" being a bad name...

The current test, tests the network performance from the server to the
selected player.  This shows whether there is enough network bandwidth
in your home network to stream at this rate to the player.  I think
this is all that can actually be tested.  It is the most useful measure
for playback of local files from the server (which was the dominant use
case when it was written)

The problem with network test readings is the way it currently works -
it can read low due to lack of cpu power on server or client rather
than lack of network capacity.  The original limitation came from the
fact that its a server only plugin and I had no access to the player
firmware to add any code.  With Squeezeplay devices I now have access
to the firmware and can think about this again.  Given a low power cpu
at the client end and a possibly low power cpu at the server end, the
current method is always going to be an approximation.  I hope it does
provide some useful information though...

--
Triode