Hey, you're not alone.I've got a big library of 250 Gbytes, and had
numerous issues getting my new Squeezebox touch to work properly.

My main problem was that when scanning for files, after about 4 hours
of scanning the HDD, some time after starting to scan album art, the
squeezebox stops with an error "music server stopped due to a problem".
I tried 4 different models of USB HDD (including a powered one) and I
bought a USB powered hub in case the unpowered USB HDDs couldn't supply
sufficient current without luck.

Some issues I had along the way included:
1) USB connection dropped repeatedly.
2) When I navigate to a file and try to play it I get an error "Problem
can not open file for:"
3) GUI freezes or is unuseably slow
4) Server needs restarting
5) Impossible to browse by tags because every time you enter a menu
such as "Artists" It takes forever to populate the entries. That would
be OK if it remembered them, but as soon as you exit that menu and
re-enter it does the same thing again.
6) Squeezebox hangs saying it is scanning but it's not, the HDD isn't
even spinning.

Eventually after several scans, wipe and rescans and factory resets, I
got it to scan everything although albumart is missing (which was
working at one point), I can't log into the squeezebox server (which
was working) and the device is permanently scanning for new files
(which I guess is making the GUI so slow).Wouldn't it make more sense
to be able to manually control the file scanning and choose the
directories. I have other stuff on my HDD I don't want scanned.

I also tried to point the picture viewer at a picasa album embedded URL
and that failed too.

So, I'm very unimpressed so far but I haven't given up yet.

--
RichardLittlewood