It's still working today, but the mysqueezebox login fails again with an
unknown password error. I'll live without the apps anyway as I'm
frightened of ejecting the USB or I'll have another mammoth scan to
look forward to.

You say 30k files is a lot but, winamp handles it easily enough on a
PC. If each file had 1kBytes of tags, it's still only 30Mbytes, hardly
a lot to hold in internal memory these days.

I think I'll avoid touching it for now and live with the slow GUI until
there's a software update.

btw, do the developers working on this product or the support guys
actually read these forums?

--
RichardLittlewood