DigitalMitch;538401 Wrote:
> Accepting that, I'm on the path of trying to optimise but I am
> struggling to understand/isolate issues which are library size related
> and others which could be settings/setup/bugs.
>
> I understand your 3 examples are clearly directly based on library
> size, I have several others which I think should be independent:-
>
> music stream is interuppted or stuttering

Figuring out what is going on with the stuttering is ongoing. Is it
happening with FLAC files? A number of people have gotten around the
problem by re-encoding using level -0 compression. If scanning is still
going on when trying to play music all bets are off. In addition any
animated visualizers can take up CPU time (spectrum analyzer, VU
meters, picture viewer). When the server is running the processor has
to handle both the server side and the player side so anything else
going on can cause problems. If you have the drive shared try unsharing
it, samba takes up some memory and cycles.

> can't connect to mySB for MyApps or App Gallery whilst playing from
> tinySC

That one I don't have a solution for. It works fine for me. There are
log files on the Touch which are frequently useful in debugging this
sort of thing. You have to ssh into the Touch and then you can read the
log files. If there are errors making connections you might find
pertinent info in the logs.

> tinySC doesn't scrobble to last.fm
I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with large libraries, etc. I
don't do scrobbling so I've never tried it.

> I suspect that the former may be incurred by outstanding scan
> issues/background processes caused by a 'bad' scan/remount which may
> have been caused by library size.
>
> Is there any reason library size should affect the other two issues.
>
> In terms of large, does non-music on the USB have any impact?
> (discovering files seems to go to 60,000 which I guess includes all
> non-music)

I don't think so. At one point I connected a drive which had 2 million
files, most of which were NOT audio files. There was about 10gigs of
audio files in various locations on the disk. It handled it perfectly,
found the audio files and ignored the rest.

> Also, is large defined purely by number of files or does type of file
> and length of track (i.e. size of file) also impact?

I THINK its probably number of songs not size of file thats an issue. I
have a disk which has about 100 songs on it but each "song" is 2 gig in
size (they are raw concert recordings), this scans very quickly.

Just a few thoughts on scanning in general, which you probably already
know but here goes anyway. The scan stores data in the .Squeezebox dir
on the disk. If there is an existing one from an external server or if
there is a partial one from a scan which did not complete, its a good
idea to delete it before starting the scan. I've seen the scanner do
weird things when it couldn't correctly read the database. Turn off
sharing, this leaves a little more memory which might help. Don't plug
in an SD card. Don't do anything else while scanning, don't touch the
screen, don't display pictures, nothing.

The sequence I have found that gives the best chance of success is to
disconnect the drive, unplug the power on the Touch. Plug the drive
into another computer and delete .Squeezebox directory. Plug power into
the Touch, let it sit for a couple minutes so all startup and
initialization precesses have finished. Plug in the drive. When it
comes up with the message about using the eject button go ahead and
select the item for viewing the scan progress. After this don't touch
the Touch until its done or you are really sure its hung. When done
eject the drive, unplug drive, unplug power. Plug in power, wait a
couple minutes, plug in drive, wait for (hopefully much shorter)
rescan. At this point you should be good to go for playing music.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson