John, thanks for such a comprehensive reply.

I'll drve the My Apps and last.fm scrobbling elsewhere as they are
minor compared to unlistenable music!

JohnSwenson;538624 Wrote:
> Figuring out what is going on with the stuttering is ongoing. Is it
> happening with FLAC files?

yes - I'm 95% FLAC ripped from CD, thought that the -0 problem was just
on 24/96. For no reason I know, from when I set FLAC up 2+ years ago, my
settings are flac.exe -6 -T -V at 768kbit/s. I'll do some experimenting
(and learning) here, by recoding.

JohnSwenson;538624 Wrote:

> If you have the drive shared try unsharing it, samba takes up some
> memory and cycles.

I'd shared to get access to the logfiles, guess I need to learn ssh to
reduce the load onto the Touch.

JohnSwenson;538624 Wrote:

> If there is an existing one from an external server or if there is a
> partial one from a scan which did not complete, its a good idea to
> delete it before starting the scan.

does "wipe and rescan" from the Server status screen (when server is
not running) acheieve this adequately?

JohnSwenson;538624 Wrote:

> When done eject the drive, unplug drive, unplug power. Plug in power,
> wait a couple minutes, plug in drive, wait for (hopefully much shorter)
> rescan. At this point you should be good to go for playing music.

After ejecting drive, I have powered it off (it's a Samsung Story 1.5T
which has a switch on the front) assuming that is the same, but easier,
than actually unplugging. Is that correct?

--
DigitalMitch

2 * SB3, 1 * Boom, 2 * SBR, 1 * Radio and 1 * Touch
controlled by IR, SBC [and iPeng on iPhone - wifi died!!]
7.5.0 on WHS on HP MediaSmart (EX470) upgraded to 2G RAM
http://www.last.fm/user/digimich