Ali Tait;539344 Wrote:
> Ok,we'll agree to disagree then! I would accept your argument if the
> sound I was hearing changed,and stayed changed,but I've heard on many
> occasions on fitting new components,the sound wandering all over the
> place,often too much trable,then too much bass,then back again until
> the component settles.This has been most marked with coupling caps in
> my valve amps,but I've heard it to a lesser degree with other
> components.Also heard it especially in the bass,on fitting new output
> transformers.Initially bass was almost non-existent,and slowly came
> back over many hours as the new trannies burned in.Changes like this
> are very obvious in my system,as I use electrostatics,which are
> extremely revealing.

No - I specifically mentioned valve amps as the valves, HT caps
(because of the 450-600V) and o/p tranny laminations all do "settle
down" from new...
All of my guitar amps have done this.

Low voltage transistor and IC gear does not have this issue. On the
other hand, Class-A tranny amps and valve amps need a period of warm-up
to let the quiescent current/temperature stabilise.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio