Hi Phil.

I think I figured it out - at least partially.

It's the ethernet jack. If I touch the ethernet jack metal frame  with
my finger, hum is gone (or goes heavily down - I guess it needs to be
measured).

It becomes even more obvious if you unplug the ethernet cable and touch
the frame then. I don't have any other cables, only power cord and
earphones,  connected to the Touch.

I guess there is no other way then returning the device. :(  Or I just
listen to music with my finger plugged in into that ethernet jack. :)
Just kidding. No it's not very funny the whole thing.

Do you have any other ideas, what to do with this?

Cheers

BTW: I just read at Amazon.de , that I am not the only one having
problems with the ethernet jack!! The squeezebox guys should have a
closer look at that IMO hot topic. If the ethernet jack turns out to be
a weak point they should quickly revise the product and the grounding
scheme of that jack.
The jack should be galvanically isolated from the network. Since the
hum changes when connecting the cable there must be problem somewhere.
We don't want to have the poluted ethernet ground in the device.

--
soundcheck